Here are 20 ways to make your staycation feel like a real vacation!
A staycation is a great way to relax and recharge without having to travel very far. All you need is a few days off work, some free time, and a willingness to explore your own city or town.
Table of Contents
1. What is a staycation
A staycation is a term used to describe a vacation that is taken in one’s hometown. It can be a time when someone decides to take a break from work and relax in their own city or town, or it can be a time when someone chooses to visit new places and explore their own backyard.
2. Vacation vs staycation
The main difference between a vacation and a staycation is that a vacation typically involves traveling to a new place and staying overnight (or several nights) away from your own home, while a staycation usually takes place in your hometown or city with you overnighting at home.
A Staycation is a great way to have fun without having the expense of travel or accommodations!
3. Staycation versus daycation
A daycation is when you spend the day at a nearby attraction or destination, such as going to the beach for the day or visiting a nearby town.
4. 20 ways to make your staycation feel like a real vacation
If you want to make your staycation feel like a real vacation, here are 20 ways to do it!
- Sleep in and stay up late!
- Buy souvenirs.
- Take lots of pictures!
- Visit a new restaurant each day.
- Check out a tourist spot in your city that you’ve always wanted to see.
- Attend a local festival or fair.
- Have a picnic in the park.
- Take a day trip to somewhere nearby that you’ve never been before
- Visit a nearby lake or beach.
- Rent a movie and have a movie night.
- Make your own mini-golf course in your backyard.
- Camp out in your living room.
- Have a themed dinner party.
- Bake cookies shaped like landmarks from your city.
- Write postcards to your friends.
- Catch a local show!
- Play tourist and walk around your city like you’re seeing it for the first time.
- People watch in a busy area.
- Take a staycation scavenger hunt!
- Visit your local Visitor’s Center to learn a bit about your city!
Bonus: Take a staycation every year and turn it into a tradition! With a little bit of creativity, your staycation can be a fun and memorable experience!
5. How to plan a staycation
Treat your staycation just like you would a vacation.
- Make reservations at local restaurants.
- Buy tickets for attractions, events, and shows.
- Buy a City Pass!
- Plan your daily itineraries.
6. What to do on your staycation
There are endless possibilities!
Personally, we think eating is one of the best parts of vacationing, so make sure to enjoy some good food at places you’ve never eaten!
Be sure to wear photo-worthy, but comfy, clothes and your comfiest shoes! You’ll be doing a lot of walking and will want to be comfortable.
Don’t forget things like your camera, sunscreen, and a reusable water bottle!
Make sure to step out of your comfort zone! You are playing tourist in your own town, so what should a tourist to your town do? Do that!
7. What not to do during your stay
Just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean you can forget your manners.
- Be respectful of the places you visit and the people you interact with.
- Don’t litter or leave your trash behind.
- Be considerate of others and keep your noise to a minimum, especially late at night.
As you can see, a staycation is a great way to vacation without even having to leave your hometown. So take advantage of your time off and enjoy a staycation today!